Monday, May 5, 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV

My roommate recently purchased this popular video game for the Xbox360. I have always been a fan of this series, despite all the controversy that surrounds it. The game tells the story of Niko Bellic, a Serbian man who comes to "Liberty City"(heavily based on New York City) in search of money. As I watched my roommate play through the game, I was at first appalled by the senseless violence that ensues. He began by running over countless numbers of people in a stolen minivan, and continued on to senselessly beat a police officer wandering by. As disturbing as this sounds, the game can be quite addicting. The believable physics make the game realistic enough that at times your conscience tells you to slow down just a bit before plowing through the next crowd of pedestrians. I understand why parents are concerned about children getting their hands on this game, but I'm still glad that games like this exist. These kinds of games are fun on occasion, and can be very helpful to take stress out on.

This game is not for the faint of heart and as I mentioned earlier it is definitely not appropriate for children. Having said that, I still would recommend this for a fun weekend of violence with some friends. For more information on this game check out these links:

GTA4 - Wikipedia
Rockstar Games

No comments: