Sunday, May 4, 2008

Freeman Concert - Saturday, April 19, 2008

A few weekends ago, my roommate invited me to a free concert on Facebook. I don't usually enjoy concerts, but after I saw who was playing I decided to go. There were six bands playing from 4PM to 11PM (According to the event planners, though it actually ended around 10:30). These ranged from relatively unknown, to the relatively well known bands, Amber Pacific and Dropping Daylight. I was extremely excited to see Amber Pacific live, because I have listened to their music since I first heard them at my friend's house playing Burnout 3: Takedown.

Around 8 O'clock I left with a group of people from my roommate's hometown in MN. We got to the Forker parking lot just in time to see the opening song of Dropping Daylight (a Minneapolis rock band). I was shocked by the number of people that had gathered for this event, because the only advertising was on Facebook. Dropping Daylight played a number of their popular songs, including "Brace Yourself" and "Lucy". The crowd was relatively lifeless until the last song, which was a cover of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing". The whole crowd went wild, and nearly everyone began singing alone to this classic song, as the singer pounded out the melody on the keyboard.

As Amber Pacific began setting up, the crowd grew significantly. This act was much more lively, quickly developing a sizable mosh pit in the front. As the act went on, people started crowd surfing toward the stage, where they were caught by the Iowa State event staff. The band got everyone to make a huge "Wall of Death", where the entire crowd separates into two halves and then runs into the middle. This event was a lot of fun, and in my opinion it was completely worth the premature hearing loss I will no doubt encounter.

No comments: